1 John 3:18
Adventure Church’s Compassion Ministry—our Heart and Soul—is made up of four individual teams: (1) Prayer; (2) Meal Train; (3) Compassion Fund; and (4) Mercy Care Home Visits. Each of these teams has its own team leader, or leaders, and group of volunteer team members.
PRAYER TEAM (leaders: Lonnie Gorton and Diane LaBaw)
We are a Praying Church. When someone in the church writes a prayer request on Adventure’s orange Connection Card (provided in the bulletin at every church service), each Prayer Team member mails a greeting card to that person with an introduction and a personal prayer.
If you have a prayer request or know someone who would like prayer, contact either:
- Lonny (530-218-2632) or Diane (530-315-3898) after 3:00 p.m. or
- the church office (530-822-9216) Tuesdays – Fridays during the day.
If you are interested in becoming a Prayer Team member, contact Lonny or Diane.
MEAL TRAIN TEAM (leader: TBD)
We are a Serving Church. The Meal Train Team members prepare and deliver meals to families that are in a stressed situation due to a new baby, surgery, illness or, in some cases, financial challenges. The families we serve are always very appreciative of these meals.
If you or someone you know could use our Mail Train services, contact the church office (530-822-9216) Tuesdays – Fridays during the day.
Adventure is always looking for new volunteers to assist in providing meals to families in need. If you are interested in becoming a Meal Train Team member, contact the church office.
COMPASSION FUND TEAM (leader: Kristie Varricchio)
We are a Compassionate, Supportive Church. The Compassion Fund is intended to be used:
- when an individual or a family (household) requesting assistance has explored all other possibilities of assistance.
- as a stepping stone in developing a long-term solution to an ongoing situation.
- to assist in an unexpected crisis.
When financial assistance is not advised or available, the Compassion Fund Team members will help by offering prayer, education, referrals, financial counseling, family, and/or spiritual counseling, etc.
If you or someone you know could use our assistance, contact the church office (530-822-9216) Tuesdays – Fridays during the day.
The Bible is filled with examples of showing COMPASSION. Below are just a few of them.
- We are to “speak up for those who cannot speak for themselves” and “speak for the rights (defense) of the unfortunate” (Proverbs 31:8).
- We are to “judge righteously” as God judges us and “defend the rights of the afflicted and those in need” (Proverbs 31.9).
- We are to “invite those who cannot repay us, the crippled, the lame, the blind into our homes when we have a banquet” (hospitality) (Luke 14:14).
- We are to “show compassion for the distressed and dispirited, those like sheep without a shepherd” (be a friend) (Matthew 9:36).
- We are to show “compassion for the sick” (Matthew 14:14).
MERCY CARE TEAM (leaders: Charlene Wilm and Marilyn Bailey)
We are a Loving Church With a Personal Touch. The Mercy Care Team visits rest homes and serves with both personal visits and group activities with resident’s participation. Our activities include Bible stories with lessons, music, arts and crafts, games, readings, and communion.
If you would like to serve with us in this way, please contact Marilyn Bailey at firstname.lastname@example.org or Charlene Wilm at email@example.com.